QUEEN OF PEACE

QUEEN OF PEACE

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Mary TV May 3, 2016 Reflection - Day 6 - Take the example of the saints!







          
 
    
      (c) Mateo Ivankovic 2016

J.M.J.
May 3, 2016
Sts. Philip and James, Apostles
Consecration Day 6
 
Dear Family of Mary!
 
Today is Day 6 of our Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary! We are still working on detaching from the world. On this day it is suggested that we think on the lives of the saints, and how they succeeded in detaching from the world, so that we might imitate them. Thomas a Kempis uses many vivid and (I would say) scary images of the sufferings and trials of the saints in the excerpt we are given. But, I just can't bring myself to share it. Reading these things usually only discourages me from trying to be a saint. It reminds me of something Fr. Michael Gaitley wrote about the struggle for holiness. He said there are such things as "Thieves of Hope". These thieves are the people who present the saints as giants of the faith who make it seem impossible to follow. He writes:
 
I would run into "thieves of hope.' Remember them? They're the people who would say things like, "That St. Therese wasn't so little. She was actually quite big." And then they'd go on about Therese's impressive virtues, desires, sacrifices, and sufferings such that I'd think to myself: "Well, Maybe the Little Way is too big for me. Maybe it's just the big way wrapped in a sugar-coated crust and a flowery rhetoric." And with that, I'd get discouraged." (Gaitley, "33 days to Merciful Love", p 63)
 
Fr. Gaitley then explains how St. Therese really was little, and that her holiness came through her total trust and abandonment to the mercy of Jesus, that alone! Therese wrote once to Marie:
"My [virtues and gifts] are nothing; they are not what give me the unlimited confidence that I feel in my heart. They are to tell the truth, the spiritual riches that render one unjust, when one rests in them with complacence and when one believes they are something great...Ah! I really feel that it is not this at all that pleases God in my little soul; what pleases Him is that He sees me loving my littleness and my poverty, the blind hope that I have in His mercy...that is my only treasure..." (p. 65)
 
Why do I share this here? I don't want to discourage any of us. We need to try to be holy!! We need to work at it. But I like Therese's way of working at it! She works on her "Trust Muscles". She builds up her trust, her complete trust in God's mercy. And that is her road to sanctity.
 
Our Lady told us in October, 2015:
 
October 25, 2015 "Dear children! Also today, my prayer is for all of you, especially for all those who have become hard of heart to my call. You are living in the days of grace and are not conscious of the gifts which God is giving to you through my presence. Little children, decide also today for holiness and take the example of the saints of this time and you will see that holiness is a reality for all of you. Rejoice in the love, little children, that in the eyes of God you are unrepeatable and irreplaceable, because you are God's joy in this world. Witness peace, prayer and love. Thank you for having responded to my call."
 
The saints of this time will help us to see that holiness is a reality for all of us!! That is what I am thinking! St. Therese and St. Faustina are saints of our time, and they both have taught the way of complete trust in the mercy of God. This is the way that we all can take. It is possible, because we surrender to Jesus, through Mary, and He does it for us!! Remember He is the one who made us unrepeatable and irreplaceable!! He loves us so much!!!
 
This doesn't mean life is easy, it just means it is possible!
 
Let us pray:
 
TOTUS TUUS
(Totally Yours)
 
Immaculate Conception, Mary my Mother, Live in me, Act in me, Speak in me and through me, Think your thoughts in my mind, Love through my heart, Give me your dispositions and feelings, Teach, lead me and guide me to Jesus, Correct, enlighten and expand my thoughts and behavior, Possess my soul, Take over my entire personality and life, replace it with Yourself, Incline me to constant adoration, Pray in me and through me, Let me live in you and keep me in this union always.
 
© 1956, Mother Immaculata, OCD
 




"Medjugorje is the spiritual center of the world."
Saint John Paul II
Be connected!
www.marytv.tv 


Mary TV, P.O. Box 899, Notre Dame, IN 46556

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments need to be approved before they are posted.