QUEEN OF PEACE

QUEEN OF PEACE

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Mary TV May 17, 2016 Reflection - Day 20 - Knowledge of the Blessed Virgin






 

Knowledge of Mary
  (c) Mateo Ivankovic 2016

J.M.J.
May 17, 2016
Day 20
 
Dear Family of Mary!
 
Today is Day 20 of our Preparation for Consecration to Jesus through Mary. We begin Week Two, which is dedicated to "A Knowledge of the Blessed Virgin". It seems to me that this week will be delightful! Because Our Lady is delightful! She is a Garden of Virtues in which the Son of God chose to dwell.
 
But I would like to attempt to get to know Our Lady through the very few times she speaks or is mentioned in the New Testament. I think there is a lot hidden in these scant reports of Our Lady! She spoke in only four written events, and is mentioned five other times. We see how hidden and humble Mary is. But nothing can hide her love for God. It shines brightly in all we know about her Son!
 
Today let's examine Our Lady's encounter with the Angel Gabriel at the Annunciation (Luke 1:26-38)
 
In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary. And he came to her and said, "Hail, O favored one, the Lord is with you!" But she was greatly troubled at the saying, and considered in her mind what sort of greeting this might be. 
And the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob for ever;
and of his kingdom there will be no end."

And Mary said to the angel, "How shall this be, since I have no husband?"

And the angel said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy, the Son of God. And behold, your kinswoman Elizabeth in her old age has also conceived a son; and this is the sixth month with her who was called barren. For with God nothing will be impossible."

And Mary said"Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word." And the angel departed from her.
Isn't this this most wonderful moment in all history! God revealed His whole plan for our salvation to a young woman of no station, in a backwater village in Judea. And He waited for her to decide!!!
Mary responded three times to the Angel Gabriel. The first time was not with words, but maybe with a facial expression. When she was called "Full of Grace" or "Highly Favored One" and she was told "The Lord is with you!" - she showed somehow that she was "greatly troubled" by what the Angel had said. She wasn't used to being praised! She wasn't used to being singled out. This was her humility, because she was lowly. She embraced her lowliness, and was just herself. This is something we can all comprehend and love. Our Lady was just one of us, though graced at conception by Jesus' redemption, to be able to live all her life in love and union with the Father. She was Immaculate, but she was just little like us!
 
Then, after Gabriel announced this big plan of God to Mary, something so big that it must have taken her breathe away, Mary was composed enough to take some time to think it over. She asked a question:
"How shall this be, since I have no husband?"
There is a great deal of intelligence in this question. She was asking what manner of conception would take place. Would Joseph, her betrothed, be the father? How would it work? Mary was clear thinking, and direct. She wasn't afraid to ask for more details. And she wanted to be sure that the Angel was from God. It would have to be a good answer.
 
And it was!
"And the angel said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy, the Son of God."
Wow! Clear as a bell! So now Our Lady could make her choice:
And Mary said, "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word." And the angel departed from her.
Mary surrendered herself completely to God. She answered His call! She chose to trust Him with her whole life. This is the Mary we know!
 
Our Lady told us:

April 25, 1987 "Dear children! Today also I am calling you to prayer. You know, dear children, that God grants special graces in prayer. Therefore, seek and pray in order that you may be able to comprehend all that I am giving here. I call you, dear children, to prayer with the heart. You know that without prayer you cannot comprehend all that God is planning through each one of you. Therefore, pray! I desire that through each one of you God's plan may be fulfilled, that all which God has planted in your heart may keep on growing. So pray that God's blessing may protect each one of you from all the evil that is threatening you. I bless you, dear children. Thank you for having responded to my call."

Our Lady at the Annunciation comprehended God's plan for her. She must have been in constant prayer, and so she was ready to receive Jesus at that moment. We must pray to comprehend God's plan for us, so that we can respond with our own Yes to God when He calls us.
Mother Mary, help us to know you. We want to become like you, and be led by you in everything!
Let us pray:

TOTUS TUUS
(Totally Yours)
 
Immaculate Conception, Mary my Mother, Live in me, Act in me, Speak in me and through me, Think your thoughts in my mind, Love through my heart, Give me your dispositions and feelings, Teach, lead me and guide me to Jesus, Correct, enlighten and expand my thoughts and behavior, Possess my soul, Take over my entire personality and life, replace it with Yourself, Incline me to constant adoration, Pray in me and through me, Let me live in you and keep me in this union always.  © 1956, Mother Immaculata, OCD

In Jesus, Mary and Joseph!
Cathy Nolan
(c)Mary TV 2016

 
 




"Medjugorje is the spiritual center of the world."
Saint John Paul II
Be connected!
www.marytv.tv 


Mary TV, P.O. Box 899, Notre Dame, IN 46556

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments need to be approved before they are posted.